Publishers of original, award-winning, high-calibre news and investigative journalism for Canadian horse enthusiasts, covering horse ownership, riding and training, horse and property management, and horse care. Our titles include Canadian Horse Journal, Canada's Equine Guide, HORSEJournals.com, The Hoofbeat E-Newsletter.
Horse Journals proudly serves all sectors of Canada’s horse community: the riders, drivers, coaches, trainers, breeders, farm and stable owners, and the various businesses that serve and support the horse industry. Horse Journals also offers classified ads for Horses for Sale, Trailers for Sale, equestrian business advertising, horse real estate listings and connects equine owners with relevant information about local services and events.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm PLEASE NOTE: during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may reach anyone on the Horse Journals team by their email - see below for more info - as well as by telephone. We have a dedicated customer service rep answering the telephone from 8:00-2:30 PST. If you are unable to reach us, or are calling outside of these hours, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Located at: Suite 202-2400 Bevan Ave, Sidney BC, V8L 1W1
Publisher: Kathy Smith
Equine Media Awards, American Horse Publications - View Winning Articles Here
- 2022 - 2nd Place Instructional Single Article - "If Your Horse Could Drive..." by Kevan Garecki
- 2022 - 2nd Place Public Awareness Journalism Article - "Solo Horse Packing Adventures in Canada's Southern Rocky Mountains" by Tania Millen
- 2021 - 2nd Place Public Awareness Journalism Article - "Immersed in the Muskwa-Kechika: A Place That Changes You" by Tania Millen
- 2020 - 1st Place Feature Single Article (26 Entries)- "Lights! Camera! Action!" by Margaret Evans
- 2020 - 1st Place Service to the Horse Industry (18 Entries) - "Safer Landings: How to Minimize Risk of Injury from Falls" by Margaret Evans
- 2019 - 1st Place Featured Single Article (16 Entries) - "Senior Senator's Triumph" by Margaret Evans
- 2019 - 2nd Place Editorial Series (15 Entries) - "Canada's Horse Industry Builders" by Margaret Evans and Kathy Smith
- 2019 - 2nd Place Human-Animal Bond (15 Entries) - "550 Kilometres on Horseback on the Trans Canada Trail" by Tania Millen
- 2019 - 3rd Place Feature Single Article (16 Entries) - "#MeToo in the Horse Industry" by Margaret Evans
- 2010 - 2nd Place Editorial (Print) - "Wild Horse Management: One Shot at a Time" by Margaret Evans
- 2010 - 3rd Place News Reporting Related Feature Story (print) - "Appeal for Equine Flood Victims in Pakistan" by Margaret Evans
- 2018 - 1st Place Featured Article - "Ghosts of the Coal Mines: Pit Ponies and Horses" by Margaret Evans
- 2007 - 1st Place Human-Animal Bond - "To Serve and Protect: The Death of Brigadier"
Spruce Meadows' Masters Tournament, 2000 - Best New & Innovative Product in the Media category - "Canadian Horse Journal"
Canadian Magazine Awards, 2003 - Honourable Mention (Top 10 finalist) - "Equine ER: A Day in the Life of the Ontario Veterinary College."
Recent & Current Affiliations and Programs
Over the years we have developed many industry affiliations. Industry partners include Horse Council of British Columbia, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, BC Therapeutic Riding Association, Canadian Therapeutic Riding Association, Ontario Equestrian Federation, Manitoba Horse Council, and relationships with professionals (e.g. coaches, trainers, veterinarians) too many to name, across Canada and throughout the industry.
CHJ regularly donates space in both print and online for the news and events of non-profit associations including Horse Council BC, Ontario Equestrian Federation, Manitoba Horse Council, BC Therapeutic Riding Association, and Canadian Therapeutic Riding Association, and hundreds of smaller horse clubs.
Each year we donate a significant amount in advertising, subscriptions, and marketing support to non-profit groups including therapeutic riding, Children’s Wish Rides, horse rescue organizations, and horse industry activities (horse shows, ride-a-thons, etc.) at the grassroots level.
Canadian writers and visual artists
We regularly work with a number of Canadian writers and photographers who contribute feature articles and photos, including coverage of our Canadian athletes at major equestrian competitions (e.g. Olympic Games, World Equestrian Games, Pan American Games, etc.), as well as graphic artists who are involved in every step of the layout, design, and production process. All of our staff members (designers, editors, sales, circulation, etc.) are Canadian citizens. Every issue of our magazine includes the work of these professionals. Our website and every issue of our magazine include the work of these professionals.